To say I've been feeling uninspired lately would be a slight understatement. I just can't be bothered, and there's always something else to do. Maybe it's to do with the days drawing in, the beginning of some kind of creative hibernation.
Anyway, sitting at the computer is not doing it for me right now, so this morning I took my notebook and a pen to a local cafe and spent an hour frowning to myself, scribbling stuff down and generally looking very creative I'm sure. And it worked! I wrote a whole scene about two of my characters meeting for the first time.
There are many reasons I will never give up writing in notebooks:
- They are light and the battery never goes flat
- They don't crash and they can't catch viruses, though I admit they are flammable
- My handwriting takes up more space than typed words, so it looks like I've written more
- My handwriting is almost illegible, so I don't waste hours re-reading it and agonising that it's all rubbish - I just get on with it
- I can doodle in the margins while I'm thinking.
I'm interested in how other people find inspiration when it's just not working. A change of scenery? A change in technique? A change of underwear?
The NBN is supposed to be "fast"
8 hours ago