Saturday, January 30, 2010

New Year Revolutions

I was feeling a bit stuck in a rut -- a new year and all that, but I was still at my desk, tapping away and struggling with the same writing I was before Christmas.

I mean, apart from the pock, pock in the background of tennis balls being bashed around Melbourne Park, you'd hardly know it was the new year.

Desperate for a mark of change, I changed the background of my desktop. I know, radical, but I think it did the trick. Now I've got something new to look at every time I sit down at my computer, and have some vague sense of fresh beginning, even if I'm still struggling with the same writing I was before Christmas. I also moved my desk lamp from the left to the right side of my desk.

Never underestimate the power of change -- it's as good as a holiday!

And for a bit more inspiration for the year ahead, here's a piece in The Age last week by Catherine Deveny, a "professional pain in the arse" hero of mine.

4 comments:

  1. Hi!

    Isn't it amazing how these little things make a huge difference? Changing your screen saver, moving your lamp from left to right..! I changed my screen saver on the 1 Jan and took the plunge and started to blog. And doing these things just stopped my brain from rotting.

    :-)

    GOOD LUCK with your writing - I hope this new impetus brought on by these changes you made continues onwards and upwards for you.

    p.s. I loved that link to Catherine Deveny's piece. "Writing sluts" of the world unite, is what I say.

    :-)

    Take care

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Old Kitty. Yes, I think so far the new impetus is continuing.

    And you're right, blogging can give you that extra push to write, although sometimes I worry that it's gives me extra distraction as well!
    Good luck with your own writing this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew I'd feel right at home at your blog when I saw your header :)

    Change is indeed a powerful thing. I changed up my background too - I now have a beautiful purple nebula on it. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jemi, thanks for dropping by! Please help yourself to a cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete